The newly created Madrid Foot Ball Club (1902) set up home on a large area of land near the old bullring. It was leased from Queen Cristina, its owner, for an annual fee of 150 pesetas. Fans would crowd together around the pitch to see the first official games. An adjacent building, La Taurina tavern, was used both as the dressing rooms as well as for storage. Owned by the Padrós brothers, it was used by the players to change and to store the goalposts.
With the passing of the years, and with the growing number of fans, the club was forced to look for a new home. It needed a larger ground that could cater to so many eager fans wanting to watch football. The Whites following home was at O’Donnell, which became the city’s most modern ground. For the first time a fence separated the players from the fans, preventing ground invasions. The construction of two grandstands meant that the stadium had capacity for 6,000 fans.