Madrid miss out on place in final

MATCH REPORT. 05/05/2021. Alberto Navarro. Photographer: Antonio Villalba (London)

The team slipped to defeat against Chelsea in the second leg at Stamford Bridge and missed out on a place in the final in Istanbul.

Real Madrid missed out on a place in the Champions League final after being knocked out by Chelsea in the semi-finals. Goals from Werner in the first half and Mount in the second booked a place in the final round for the Premier League side. The game was played at a frantic pace, as first an effort by Toni Kroos in the 11th minute and then Rudigier for the hosts, one minute later, set the tone for what was an action-packed first half.
The visitors almost opened the scoring on 26’ when a slick move ended with Karim Benzema collecting the ball on the edge of the box. The Frenchman turned and fired in a low effort which was brilliantly saved by Mendy. Two minutes later Chelsea burst forward on the break. Havertz was played through but his lobbed effort came back off the crossbar and the rebound was nodded in by Werner to break the deadlock.

Video.2-0: Madrid miss out on place in final

The final chance ahead of the break fell to the madridistas when Luka Modrić’s left-footed ball was met by a fierce Benzema header, forcing Mendy into another superb stop. The second half began with Chelsea looking dangerous on the counter-attack and Havertz headed against the bar on 47’, before Mount and Havertz again were both second best in one-on-ones up against Thibaut Courtois. The first blasted over, while the second was brilliantly kept out by the Real Madrid goalkeeper.
Eden Hazard tried to deliver an immediate response and his cross-shot was turned behind by Mendy with 65 minutes on the clock. A minute later, though, it was the hosts causing problems again, only for Fede Valverde to get back with a courageous block after Kanté was sent through alone against Courtois. Real Madrid pushed up in search of the equaliser but could ultimately do nothing to breach the home side’s defence. With 85 minutes gone, another swift counter ended with Mount converting a fine Pulisic assist to put the tie to bed.



The referee

Daniele Orsato (Italy), assisted by Alessandro Giallatini and Fabiano Preti. Davide Massa was the fourth official, while Massimiliano Irrati (Italy) was in charge of VAR.